Terrible Week

>> Monday, July 13, 2009

Just when I thought nothing effects me and I have become immune to all feelings something happens which shakes me up...
This happened on Friday. I was walking back home from a fancy shopping mall, having bought some totally unnecessary cosmetics, a Rs. 400/- scratch guard for my newly acquired fancy cell, saving the same cell from the rains by keeping it in a plastic bag and still worrying weather the rain drops shall get into it...
It had stopped raining and I was near a traffic signal. Suddenly I spot this shall young girl, around 3 years old, sitting near a shop door. The shutter of the shop was down and the child was sitting with a very sad a morose expression on her face. The expression on her face was as if she had lost all hope in life and she was all very tired of everything... She looked like an urchin but a pretty clean one... It almost seemed as if she had run away from her house and had nowhere to stay. Her clothes were quite clean. There were a few plastic bags near her which seemed the only belongings that she had.
The next thing that I saw almost broke my heart... Next to her, there was another girl around 4 years old, her thin nylon salwar drenched in rain water, a thin dupatta covering her head sleeping with her face towards the shutter. She was probably not well and shivering with the cold. She was so tiny and her legs pulled tightly towards her chest that I would have easily missed her. She was lying on a a small stone on the pavement.
I asked the younger girl where her mother was and she generally pointed in the direction of the road... I asked the shopkeepers around and everybody looked at them as if they were seeing the two children for the first time. One of the told me that these are the part of the group that beg on the signal nearby and their mother would also be somewhere around...
I asked the child weather she was hungry and she just nodded. The only thing that I could do was to buy two packets of biscuits and give it to the girl with the hope that she eats them and the mother does not sell it of... How I wish I could have taken both the girls home, given them a proper meal and some warm clothes... I really felt ashamed to be carrying such a expensive phone around and worrying about totally frivolous matters...
I love Bombay and the people in this city but when I see incidents like this and the way we treat our children, I feel that somewhere we have failed miserably....There are so many such children living like this and most often that not, we are so engrossed in our daily routines that we turn a blind eye to them...
___________________________________________________________________________________
Last week was generally very depressing... Im not able to find a house that I want and my best friend's marriage is breaking... The second is a shocker.... I never never thought that there was something wrong in their relationship... They were my ideal couple... I still cant get over it...

11 comments:

Tall Guy July 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

You sure have a kind heart :)

Keshi July 13, 2009 at 5:41 PM  

u hv a very compassionate heart. not everyone thinks like u abt others. Im proud of ya.


**The only thing that I could do was to buy two packets of biscuits and give it to the girl with the hope that she eats them and the mother does not sell it of

how very sweet of ya. That itself is a VERY great deed. Cos some ppl dun even stop to look at them!


Keshi.

WritingsForLife July 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

finally someone else also said what i always say: We take life for granted.

Punk Princess July 14, 2009 at 1:49 PM  

this blog seems like a leaf out of my life's book :)

I am glad you bought them food than giving them money!

God bless ya!

humbl devil July 18, 2009 at 7:48 AM  

i hope i pass away before it passes...:D
i dont want it to pass..

Tall Guy July 20, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

You got tagged, check it on my blog

Arti July 25, 2009 at 2:57 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Satanic Angel July 25, 2009 at 2:58 AM  

hiii :)
noone does wat u did..u are very compassionate and am happy to know someone like u :)
there are many insensitive ppl out there, n even the sensitive ones are too lost to bother about these things..frankly speakin I myself prolly wud hav overlooked them, and i have on many occasions :(

Lucifer July 28, 2009 at 7:49 AM  

someone rightly said...wat wud open our eyes will come when v r least expectin it

Sh@s August 5, 2009 at 12:39 AM  

A moving post. There r times when one feels so much for the other person yet there is nothing much that can be done at that moment and one is left feeling terribly helpless.

Anonymous September 8, 2009 at 4:13 AM  

Gr8 post indeed!

The moment you felt difficult to carry the costliest phone just bcoz of the thought of the children, you have got a new change in urself..

Those people many times need our time and kindness rather than the money.. They are the ones who need the real upliftment in their life...

Hope we can bring it!