Changes

>> Wednesday, December 28, 2011

" As the hour of departure arrives, we both go our ways. Me to live, you to die. Which path is better, God only knows".

It is not always that you read something which changes that way you think and gives a new perspective to life.

What is happening to me is surreal. It was by chance that I read a book on the Mahabharata. It caught my attention and I started reading other articles and books. How foolish was I to believe that ancient books are only about God and religion when they are actually about how you have to lead your life. How each person has his/own unique path. How nothing is a coincidence and we are just a minscule particle in the larger context of things.

It has changed me. Become more calmer and peaceful. But it has also opened new floodgates. New windows and questions on what I really want. What my purpose is in life. And I hope I find the answers. I want the quest to be over. If it does not, I am afraid of going back to my mundane existance as earlier and that is a very scary idea.

6 comments:

Ed Pilolla December 28, 2011 at 9:53 AM  

i don't know the book you read, but i can relate to your experience. some ancient text are counter-intuitive insofar as they have so much wisdom about how to live. i think it's a modern day indoctrination so many of us are susceptible to: anything old can't be relevant to my modern life. but it is. and honestly, i need a good book like you describe. can i ask what might be a silly question? is the book you speak of in english? i'm obviously a first-time visitor here from raajii's place. for a while i have wished my journey to be over, but alas, it continues, perhaps forever. perhaps for the best, tho i can't imagine it, at least now. i have joked with close friends that god for laughs runs a powerpoint presentation and shows snapshots of my life over the past seven years saying, 'this is ed saying the journey is over in 2008. here in 2009. here in 2010...'
very nice to meet you.

WomanInLove December 28, 2011 at 10:21 PM  

Have you read Mrityunjay (English: Triumph Over Death) written by Shivaji Sawant? This novel revolves around "Karan" one of the most intriguing characters in Mahabharata. I find him utterly attractive, loveable and vulnerable

And what you are experiencing is worth it. You might lose it from time to time but it will surely guide you along in your hours of need

Tall Guy December 31, 2011 at 2:33 AM  

Changes always makes us question our existing ways of living. Depends how we take that forward.

Ancient book has a lot of wisdom to offer, at least that's what I believe.

Good to see you blogging again after a long time.

Wish you a happy new year and lots of love and luck in the coming year.

Rashmi January 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM  

@ Ed,
Hi. have left a comment on your blogs on the books I am reading.

Rashmi January 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM  

@ womanin love,
I have been looking for Mritunjaya in English but sadly it is out of print. Heard Yayati is also a good book.

I know what you mean. There is a certain calmness wehn u get the interpretations right. It is as if you see the world in a new light altogether.

Rashmi January 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM  

@ tallguy
How have u been? Good to see u. I havent been writing in a long time and I regret it. Blame it on my laziness. :)

Thanks and wish you too a fabulous new year.