Things I want to do Before I Die

>> Friday, May 09, 2008

I had this pain in my right knee since the last 2 months or so, and as usual I did not go to the doctor thinking that I'm totally fit and it shall subside. The pain aggravated this week and finally yesterday I went for a checkup. The verdict: I may have arthritis. Arthritis? Me? But I'm still very young for it. OK, I do say often that I'm old and I cant do many things which I may have done a few years ago but I'm definitely too young for arthritis. I mean it happens to people in their 50s. Even the doc was a little shocked. He has given me medicines for three days and said that if the pain still dose'nt subside, I shall have to have an X ray done. I just hope that its not arthritis but just some minor problem due to the tennis that Ive been playing for the last 3 months or so. I had forgotten to mention this to him.


But this got me thinking. Ive just been taking life for granted thinking that I've still got a lot of time on my hands to do whatever I wanted to do in life. And in the bargain Ive forgotten that my body is getting older. And there are so many things that I haven't done but want to. It was a moment when I actually thought that even though I say that I dont mind dying now since life has not been that great and not maany will be effected if I die, but there are still many things which I actually have'nt done and wold like to do. So here is the list of things which I want to do before I die.

1. Travel. Travel to Europe especially Ireland, travel to all the states in North East India. Visit Andamans again and again and again.

2. Do bungee jumping,white water rafting and paragliding ( that's the closest you can get to actually flying), snookering in the pristine waters of andaman again.

3. Go for long walks in Rishikesh alone just like I went last year.

4. Visit Panchgani in the rains and go cycling till Pratapgarh. Stay there in a cute Parsi bungalow.

5. Go on a solo trip to Uttaranchal especially the Valley of Flowers.And this time when I go there, try to have a conversation with the sadhus there.

6. Go for a party with friends and dance without any inhibitions on the dance floor. (I'm a terrible dancer and most of the times I'm extremely shy to dance).

7. Buy a fancy car. Not for me but my mom would love it if I take her on long drive in my own car.

8. Send my parents on a trip abroad.

9. Join a salsa class, a photography class, learn swimming

And most important of the lot:

10. Beat the shit out of child abusers and rapists.

11. Join an organisation working for street children and try to bring childhood back to the life of at least one child.

12. Adopt a daughter.

13. Say how much I love my parents even though Ive been a terrible daughter and how much I am indebted to them for tolerating me and standing by me when I needed them.

14. A big thank you to my friends who have stood by me during the most testing period of my life. Thank you is too small a word for whatever they have done for me. But if it was not for them I would have been writing this today. So thank you Vidya and Amita and Sanjay and Jatin. Especially Vidya. You have been a rock.

15. Say sorry to someone for all the nasty things I have ever said to him. Trust me, Im not all that bad.

I hope I can manage to do all these things else when I'm actually old/when my body no longer is capable of doing this, I shall regret not having done it when I could've done it.

But most of this requires lots (quite a bit) of money for which I have to go to office, which leaves me no time to even think of ll this. And it all becomes embroiled in a vicious circle....

I wonder what others want to do before they die....

18 comments:

humbl devil May 10, 2008 at 10:17 AM  

oi!
madame!

just take the medicines regularly!!! most probably it wont be arthritis...even if it is, arthritis aint a life threatening disease...

so cheer up!!!
btw, i had also posted on a similar topic...recently...and tagged people to do the same...on their bucket lists...
marna toh sab ko hai...koi jaldi jayega koi aaraam se bhugatke..hehe

p.s.
came over from samby's blog

Anonymous May 10, 2008 at 10:19 AM  

Hmm thts quite a list... and m sure you will do a lot of them..i already posted my lift which u have read in my 8 things tag...lol...

and di i have seen army officers getting arthiritis...dure to imporper walking style and heavy stomping hirlline fractures..so well u better get that checked...

cheerz maam!!

The Listener May 10, 2008 at 10:45 AM  

Some r same as my bucket list..
the Rishikesh trip...the waters...the flow...Raam jhula, Laxman jhula (bridges) am missing thm sooooo much.
Salsa ...i wish my body will evr allow those flexible and gracious moves..but yes i dont want to die b4 i am done with my bucket list.
So girl lets strt now.

Tejas Lakhani May 11, 2008 at 5:12 AM  

hi.
found ur post exciting and so tagged you on my blog
http://tejasonduty.blogspot.com
kindly revert on that.

alok May 11, 2008 at 8:45 AM  

Well said, life is too short to do everything. We may require many more life to accomplish all of those tasks, because we stuck in the routine ones we hardly bothers others.

BTW, you have a long & interesting to do list …

broca's area May 11, 2008 at 11:15 PM  

hm..quite a list [bucket list!]...impressed with that organization thing!!!...[nice blog]:)

Anonymous May 12, 2008 at 3:22 AM  

so did ya get the chance to do any of these yet maam?? huh???

Nefariousoutlook May 12, 2008 at 4:13 AM  

yes i was lucky enough to do your first item on the list in the recent past!! it is wonderful and would definitely recommend sikkim and meghalaya..really kool places!!!

nice post !! and a very nice list

keep posting :)

Satanic Angel May 14, 2008 at 2:05 PM  

hey cute profile picture :)
wow yu travelled to rishikesh ALONE?? Kudos to yu gurl!! I have always wanted to do tat ya..travel all alone..my mum jus doesnt let me yaar :(

I mean am old enuf not to listen to my mum anymore huh.
Hey n dont say thrs noone who'd feel bad if u arent around..CMMMON!! dont be so harsh on urself baby!
I loved the post most things (infact ALL) wud feature on my to-do list!
I hope ur knee's much better now :)

Rashmi May 16, 2008 at 8:02 AM  

@ humble devil,
thanks for dropping by..the knee is better now

Rashmi May 16, 2008 at 8:04 AM  

@ samby,
thanks.its better. i am going to manali next month so shall probably do a couple of things. will keep u posted

wish u cld call me di/rashmi. mam sounds ancient..:)

Rashmi May 16, 2008 at 8:05 AM  

the listner,
am starting next month by going to manali...

Rashmi May 16, 2008 at 8:06 AM  

@ alok and brokasarea,
thanks

Rashmi May 16, 2008 at 8:07 AM  

@ nefarious outlook,
thanks. hopefully shall do most of them in this life

Rashmi May 16, 2008 at 8:10 AM  

@ elusive,
yes i did go alone and it was fantastic. u have to go on a rishikesh trip.
and ill let u in on a secret- i did not tell my paretnts that im going alone. they wouldve freaked out. i told them im going for a seminar to delhi...i know its awful to lie but i think it was worth it...and my knees are miraculously better now...ive started going for walks again...i still havent been for a check up though...

Unknown May 22, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

hey Rashmi
wonderful list there. wonderful cos i can totally relate to point no.1 to point no.5. u r a passionate traveller!
North East is beautiful, i have jus explored Gangtok but now i wanna explore more!! Walks along Rishikesh, Uttaranchal sound like my kind of things. i love to explore places on foot. Varanasi is one place i wanna visit cos its a photographers paradise. backpacking all around Europe is a dream:D i specially wanna visit France jus for its cobbled streets n road side cafes.
as regards photography class, i have answered that query in reply to your comment on my blog

take care
ciao

Unknown May 22, 2008 at 10:56 AM  

travelling solo is one thing i so wanna try out. i have had my solo sessions when i am on travels but ive never been on a fullon solo travel soujourn.

hope ur knees healed now.

take care
ciao

Rashmi May 23, 2008 at 9:26 PM  

@taureandude,

if i could, i wish i quit my job and travel... but thats not possible...

ya, my knees are better. am going for regular walks now.

and u should go on unplanned solo trips...nothing like getting up in the morning and just going where ur feet take u... its an experience in itself. my trip to rishikesh got me hooked and now im addicted for solo travel.