Me, A Coward

>> Thursday, April 24, 2008

This incident has been haunting me for more than a month now.
I was in a bus going home from work and generally lost in my own thoughts. As it was quite late, the bus was not crowded. Suddenly I heard someone groaning very loudly. First I thought it something had fallen and did not pay attention to it. But when I turned around, I saw that a man in his 50s was unconscious. He was sitting on a seat and a young chap next to him was trying to revive him. some 4-5 people were trying to help him. Someone was rubbing his chest, others were rubbing his feet etc. Nobody could make out whether he was breathing or not. The bus was in a forest area and could not stop at a hospital/clinic.
I had a bottle of water in my bag and I had this urge to go and splash water on his face or offer it to him to drink. Maybe that would've helped him.
But I did not get up. For some reason, I just sat there and watched all this. I don't think anybody else had any water with them. Else someone would've surely have offered it to him.
I just sat there and after my stop came, I got off the bus. before getting off, I looked behind and the man was sill unconscious. Maybe he was taken to the doctor later. maybe he was OK and nothing serious happened to him.
But what if he was dead? What if he would've been alright if I had offered water to him? Why didn't I just get up and splash some on his face to revive him? It would not have cost me anything. Then why? usually I am quite helpful even to strangers. then why didn't I do it then? am I really a coward but pretend to be otherwise? What if it was one of my family members instead of the man travelling on the bus alone and no one came to his/her help if god forbid something like this ever happened to them?
I just cant seem to shake of this guilt feeling.

11 comments:

Anonymous April 24, 2008 at 3:33 PM  

You are terming it wrongly. It wasn't cowardice. It was apprehension:
Log madad kar rahe hai, mai kyu karu?

Then mebbe a lil self doubt:
Mera popat hua toh?

And finally a fear.
What if nothing helps, not even my water!

Rashmi April 24, 2008 at 9:23 PM  

anon,
maybe. but am still not able to not feel guilty

Cinderella April 24, 2008 at 11:30 PM  

I dont think that was cowrdice like your anon fren has already said.
Sometimes it happens. You just get blank. No thoughts, nothing. Probably thats what happened to you there.
And I know, you do feel guilty afetrwards, thinking, mebbe you could have dne smth that would have helped, but you dint. ANd that grosses you out.

Dont worry. Try to forget it. Lets pray that the man is alrigth now.

broca's area April 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM  

may be the fear of contributing to his misery by helping him might have contibuted u for ur inaction!....its not cowardice!!:)

Meghna April 25, 2008 at 1:41 AM  

Hi Rashmi,
Maybe it was a bit of confusion at the sudden happenings and as the others said, apprehension to help coz there were many others!
Anyway, it wasn't cowardice :P

Nirmal April 25, 2008 at 4:30 AM  

this incident doesnt prove u r coward or something..

it happens many a times we go blank dont know what to do...
tat man might be alright..thers no point in being sad..

yup next time please offer ur help...

happy 2 know that ur kinda gals exist in MUMBAI....lols...

Anonymous April 26, 2008 at 10:40 PM  

koi nahi maam...let it pass... happens... sumtimes u want o do sumthing but are too aprehensive to do it... but atleast u got the feeling..sum ppl even make a humor out of this situation.....feel good taht ur better than that lot

Noobcode April 27, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

first of all it is not cowardness...it is just a late or blank reaction...
but i like that you mentioned about this in your post....

anyways nice blog you got...

and ofcourse mumbain's learn quickly from their experiences...

will be back...
till then happy life...

alok April 28, 2008 at 10:19 AM  

Something strange !! I don’t see it as cowardice, otherwise you shouldn’t have thought of this post. But a guilt feeling ??? really not, as long as you have learn it on first hand ...

In my opinion, what you are feeling is an indication that you have learnt it. So next time … you should offer whatever help you can … to save somebody's (in case) life you needn't give a second thought for whatsoever reason ...

Anonymous April 28, 2008 at 10:50 AM  

so shook of the feeling yet maam???

The Listener May 4, 2008 at 5:00 AM  

hey girl take a chill pill. It happens. Good tht u shared ur feelings hear. Most of us try to hide our weakness and tht ultimately makes no good. so just blog as u wish and give a damn to wht othrs think.

I wud love to read ur feelings in ur words. Co-incidence happen so dont worry abt thm